Maharashtra Marriage Certificate
A marriage certificate is a legal record that certifies the marriage bond of a bride and bridegroom. The concerned State Government is empowered to issue marriage certificates in every State of India.
In this Article, we look at the procedure for obtaining Maharashtra marriage certificate in detail.
Benefits of Marriage Certificate
The following are the benefits of obtaining the marriage certificate in Maharashtra:
- A marriage certificate proves that marriage has occurred and can be used as an official record.
- It assures the minimum age for marriage to restrict child marriages.
- This certificate permits widows to claim the inheritance.
- It can also be used to check bigamy or polygamy.
- It serves as a deterrent to husbands abandoning their wives.
- This certificate assists women to exercise their rights of asylum from husband and for custody of children.
- Besides, its usage continues while appealing for passport service, visa to obtain immigration benefits.
The bride and the groom should satisfy the following conditions of eligibility to acquire the marriage certificate in Maharashtra:
- The groom or the bride should be a permanent resident of India for obtaining the marriage certificate in Maharashtra.
- At the time of the marriage, the concerned party should have a living spouse.
- The groom must have attained the age of 21, and the bride must be the age of 18.
The party should apply to the office of the Inspector General of Registration under whose jurisdiction the marriage occurred or where the spouses had stayed for at least six months before the wedding. To register, any one of the following places should come under the jurisdiction of the Registering Officer:
- Residence of the bridegroom.
- Residence of the bride.
- Solemnization place.
In India, a marriage registration occurs under either the Special Marriage Act or Hindu Marriage Act. The Special Marriage Act applies to all citizens of India irrespective of their religion, whereas the Hindu Marriage Act applies only to Hindus. The Special Marriage Act provides for the solemnization of a marriage as well as registration by a marriage officer.
However, the Hindu Marriage Act provides for registration of an already solemnized marriage and does not fit for solemnization of a marriage by a Marriage Registrar.
While applying for the marriage certificate in Maharashtra, furnish the following documents along with the application:
- Application form
- Affidavit of the couple is needed in which the place of marriage occurred including the details of marriage date, marital status and nationality.
- Passport size photo and photograph of a marriage invitation card, if any.
- Residency proof of the Applicant
- Birth certificate of the husband (Age Proof)
- Birth certificate of the wife (Age Proof)
- If marriage happens at a religious place, then the declaration by the priest.
- For divorced people, the order of divorce and verified copy of the death certificate requires in case of a widower/widow.
The State Government of Maharashtra has brought it online to simplify the marriage registration process. To make marriage registration follow the steps as given below:
Step 1: Visit the home page of Mumbai Municipal Corporation.
Step 2: Move the cursor to the “Online Service ” option where the applicant should select ” Marriage Registration” option.
Step 3: Now, the online application form will open up on the screen. Fill out the application form with the relevant details like name, address, date of the marriage etc. and upload the required documents.
Step 4: After filling the application, then the duly filled Form D will be sent to the Applicant’s e-mail, and it can be downloaded in the PDF format.
Step 5: Once the online registration completed the concerned party should generate appointment on same site after receiving form.
Step 5: Once the appointment date is fixed the concerned party should visit the marriage registrar office and submit the downloaded application along with required documents.
The concerned State Government issues the marriage certificate that is valid for the lifetime.